Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Review: The Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare


April 22nd, 2013
The Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare


The things I could say about this book. One can never know how they will feel about a series that has been derived from another series. I was a bit upset that the author would create this series, and expect me to read it to know characters that would already be introduced in her future books. I went into reading "The Infernal Devices" trilogy thinking, my allegiance is to "The Mortal Instruments." Even if I like this, it will not replace that I "prefer" that series more.
Let me continue by saying, as much as I enjoyed the first three "TMI" books, they can eat rocks. Any "City of..."and whatever name that follows can't hold a torch to just one book in this series, and "The Clockwork Princess" just let everyone know.
What can I say about this book, that isn't already being said on reviews? I don't believe in the star system, but if there were anytime I would say a book was deserving of five star review, this was it.

The Good:
This book was amazing at displaying many arcs of internal conflict. Cassandra(yeah, that's right. I know her through her writing, so I can call her out by name. That's how tight we are)made me care so much about so many different characters. I wanted to hate some, but she let their stories unfold, so I could better understand even misunderstood characters. Good job Cassandra. I hope to see this in your "City of Fallen Angels."

A great female heroine. I cant stress this enough. So many books I read have a female protagonist who just cant get her act together. Most of the things she achieves, are usually due to a man helping her achieve her goals. Tessa Gray, you got me. You proved that there was no more powerful person in this series than you. What you did was extraordinary. And I hope to see you in the future,since you'll live that long.

A great love story. Too many times with love triangles, it is never an equal shot for both individuals hoping to be the victor of a person's heart. One usually has more chance than the other, and it makes you wonder why even mention there was an issue in the first place. The book made me feel as if I really were Tessa, and that my love could not be torn apart more for the other. I felt love for two people, and it actually felt genuine. Thank you. It's about time someone got this right.

The writing and imagery was amazing. There were times I actually could see the UK for what it was back then. People have complained that Cassandra Clare is too descriptive, but I have to disagree. I feel as though she paints better pictures of what should be seen. She shows and not tells,and I'd have a hard time believing it's this isn't natural for her, because she does it every time.

The Bad:
I will say I did notice a few grammatical errors. A big publishing house like hers should have caught this, but it wasn't often. I've only begun to notice these types of things, because I've been taking the time to be critical of my own self editing before paying someone to correct it. Twice on occasion Gabriel was accidentally written as Gideon. I thought maybe they were in the scene together, but then i was contradicted when a scene followed, featuring Gideon entirely, canceling out any ideas that they shared the room together. And once I saw Jem's last name Carstairs spelled wrong. But again, not a deal breaker for me.

Were you somehow expecting any other issues with the book? Guess what? You wont find any with this book. It did an amazing job at ending this trilogy, answering the questions we all wanted to know once we started this journey. For anyone who prefers modern day fantasy books, do not let that steer you away from The Infernal Devices trilogy. I almost let that stand in the way of me reading this series, and unless it gets one upped by a diamond in the rough book I have yet to read from my collection of unread books, I'd go as far to say it has been my best read of the year. I give it 4.99 stars. I only take away for the three grammatical errors I noticed, but i'd give it the 5 in a minute!

Im only going to dreamcast 3 characters, because there were way too many. Tessa in my head was Emily Rudd.

Will and Jem? Well my go-to Asian hottie obviously for Jem is Justin Nozuka, or any brother in the Nozuka family really. Will, he fell into that Blue Eyed Brunette trope i hate! So...I guess maybe Nicholas Hoult? Since he's actually English and cute?





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving awesome comments!We appreciate and reply to everyone!